High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Systems
HOV - Northern Virginia: When and Where
- I-495 Express Lanes HOV-3
- I-95 / I-395 Express Lanes HOV-3 reversible lanes
- I-66 HOV-2
- Dulles Toll Road HOV-2
I-495 Express Lanes
HOV-3 traffic can use the high-occupancy toll (express) lanes on Interstate 495 for free with an E-ZPass Flex set to HOV mode. Visit www.ExpressLanes.com for details.
I-95 / I-395 Express Lanes
HOV-3 traffic can use the high-occupancy toll (express) lanes on Interstate 95 and Interstate 395 free with an E-ZPass Flex set to HOV mode. Details: www.ExpressLanes.com/395.
Inside the Beltway
The hours are 5:30 - 9:30 a.m. going east and 3 - 7 p.m. going west, Monday through Friday.
Solo drivers have the option of paying a toll to use the lanes in the peak direction during rush hours.
The lanes remain free for HOV-2+ vehicles (with E-ZPass Flex), buses, motorcycles and emergency response vehicles.
The lanes are free to all during off-peak periods, including weekends.
- Going east: 5:30 - 9:30 a.m.
- Going west: 3 - 7 p.m.
Exit ramps at Monument Drive and Stringfellow Road
- On weekdays, the ramps are open easstbound to HOV-2 traffic only from 5:30 - 9:30 a.m., and westbound to HOV-2 traffic only from 3 - 7 p.m.
- The ramps are closed to all traffic from 5 - 5:30 a.m. and 9:30 - 10 a.m. on weekdays for the directional switch.
- At all other times and throughout the weekend, the ramps are open westbound to all traffic.
I-66 Outside the Beltway will become HOV-3 when the Express Lanes from Gainesville to I-495 open in late 2022.
The far left lane is reserved for HOV-2 going east in the morning and west in the afternoon. Details: http://www.metwashairports.com/tollroad/toll.htm.
From: Route 28
To: The main toll plaza
- Going east: 6:30 - 9 a.m.
- Going west: 4 - 6:30 p.m.